Tips To Style Your Home
When Ash and I bought our place last year, it was overwhelming to furnish and decorate a blank slate.
I found it easy to like pieces, but I found it hard to make them work together without it looking like I tore a page out of a catalogue. While I covet my "Scandinavian interior design" Pinterest board, I also want my space to be liveable (+ we have two dogs, so I had to be realistic).
Some things to keep in mind when shopping for your home:
- You don't necessarily need to spend money on 'key' pieces. I thought of forking out thousands of dollars on a leather couch, but it just wasn't realistic for our lifestyle. Looking back, I think we made the right decision to go with a cloth grey couch because dog claws and dirty paws (uhm, did I just find the name to a dog book?) would've definitely ruined any leather
- Take bigger risks when it comes to things you can change more often. If you're really loving a certain print, colour or texture, I'd experiment with pillows to start. I love marble print, but am not sure about the long-term. I found these awesome light blue marble pillows from Shop Abandoned here
- Don't be afraid to mix materials. Picture this: a tan leather couch, an off-white or cream wicker chair and a Persian rug
- Choose a colour palette and stick with it. That way, if you mix materials, it won't be too much
- Candles, aroma sprays and diffusers are always a good idea
- So are fresh flowers and plants!
- Mix old & new. I love a good vintage find, it can balance out modern furniture really well